Trending

Monday, February 10, 2014

FGCU VB Hires Former Colorado State Assistant Matthew Botsford As New Head Coach

After Dave Nichols stepped down as the Florida Gulf Coast volleyball coach, the Eagles have been on a search to find a new program leader. That search ended Monday as athletic director Ken Kavanagh announced that FGCU has hired former Colorado State assistant Matthew Botsford.

“I’d first like to thank Ken and the administration for giving me this opportunity. From the second I stepped foot on campus it was apparent to me that the successes at FGCU were a reflection of the people in the department and the passion they have, and that’s one of the things that attracted me to the position. Also, I’ve been extremely blessed to have worked with some great coaches in my career, and Tom Hilbert (current CSU head coach) is one of them. My time working with him has been invaluable because he’s shown me how to run a program beyond what just takes place on the court. He’s been a steward of the game, a valued member of the community and I’m extremely thankful for him preparing me to move into this position.” -Botsford via press release

In his two years at CSU, Botsford assisted in the Rams back to back Mountain West championships, and two entrances into the NCAA tournament. CSU was 49-10 in his time in Fort Collins. Prior to Colorado State, the now FGCU head coach spent time coaching at Miami, Notre Dame, and IUPUI.

Botsford brings in hefty recruiting experience, espcially with Miami, that will be crucial in his start with the Eagles. He is taking over a program coming off a 14-19 season that ended in a semifinal loss to JU in the Atlantic Sun tournament.

For more on FGCU make sure to follow us on Twitter (@FGCUEaglesNest)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By