Trending

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

2015 Guard Ahmad Caver Talks Florida Gulf Coast Offer

FGCU continued their pursuit of a 2015 floor general on Monday when Joe Dooley offered point guard Ahmad Caver.

"At first I didn't hear him clearly. I thought he said 'what others offers do you have?' And I told him ODU," Caver told the Eagles Nest. "And then he said 'Now you've got one from us'. I was really surprised because I just woke up from a nap after working out."

Although listed as a point guard on most recruiting websites, the 6-foot-0 guard can play both positions.

"Dooley said I was versatile. I could play point guard or shooting guard," Caver said. "He likes players like that."

Caver's versatility is showcased with North Gwinnett High School (Suwanee, Ga.) during the school year. There, he plays with fellow D-I recruit Tobias Howard.

"Believe it or not, a couple years ago we were rivals. We played all the time. Then we came together and found that chemistry quickly," Caver said. "That first tournament we got it and everything since then we've been great."

While North Gwinnett competed at the Wally Keller Classic in nearby Punta Gorda, Fla., the two guards took in FGCU's campus during their spare time.

"I loved the campus. I wanted to go back the very next day," Caver said. "It's on the beach and in Florida where the weather's always good."

The two recruits also play together on the AAU circuit for Stackhouse Elite - coached by former NBA All-Star Jerry Stackhouse.

"Everything I do now, I learned from him [Jerry Stackhouse]. He taught the fundaments at first because when he played, he wasn't a flash player," Caver said.

His play with Stackhouse Elite has drawn the interest of over a dozen mid-major schools; Florida Gulf Coast and Old Dominion are the only ones to offer, as of now. Caver was originally in the class of 2014 but after reclassifying, he will take prep school visits soon.

For more on FGCU, make sure to follow us on Twitter (@FGCUEaglesNest)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By