Trending

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

2015 SF Rayjon Tucker Commits To FGCU

Florida Gulf Coast landed their first commitment of the 2015 class on Wednesday when Rayjon Tucker (Charlotte, NC) gave his verbal pledge to the Eagles.

"They just built a relationship with me and my family from the start," Tucker said. "I like how family oriented they are. I just felt like I was part of the family from day one. That was the main thing that pushed them to number one."

The small forward out of Northside Christian Academy took an official visit in late August and now a month later has announced his decision to continue his basketball career at FGCU in the fall of 2015.

"The campus is great and beautiful. It's not too hot. Most people think being in Florida is really hot," Tucker said. "The people and facilities are great. It's just a family environment."

While FGCU assistant Jamill Jones was on the lead for Tucker's recruitment, Joe Dooley traveled to Charlotte on Wednesday to watch the explosive wing. The Eagles ended up landing quite possibly the highest rated commit in FGCU history.

"The coaching staff likes how I play on both ends of the court...bringing intensity to the game and pushing everybody as hard as I push myself - just my work ethic," Tucker said.

Recruiting outlets evaluated the 6-foot-5 wing as a three/four star prospect and the sky is the limit for high-flying Charlotte product. 247Sports ranked him as the No. 111 player in the class of 2015.

Pretty impressive for someone who just started focusing on the sport two years ago. Tucker gave up football, where he played wide receiver, and started playing solely basketball his sophomore year.

"I just loved basketball more. The desire in my heart was to play basketball more than football," Tucker said.

He exploded onto the recruiting scene this summer and started attracting high major interest. Tucker held offers from Virginia Tech, Boston College, VCU, Clemson, and Auburn, among others. He attributed that to his multifaceted game.

"I'm a slasher, mid-range. I play defense and rebound the well and am great in open space," said Tucker, who also mentioned improving his ball handling and shot.

Remember how internet sensation and current FGCU freshman guard Christian Terrell seemed like a perfect fit at Dunk City for his above the rim antics? I think you can throw Tucker in that same category (just check out his mixtape)

"Without a doubt. That was what led me to my decision as well. The style of play is fast, up tempo - just like my high school and AAU teams. That's what I excel at most," Tucker said.

He plans on signing his NLI to FGCU during the early signing period in November (Nov. 12-19).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By