Trending

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Nick Rivera Interview

Today I got the chance to interview freshman infielder Nick Rivera who is hitting .272 with four home runs so far this season. He is from Bishop Verot High School, very close to FGCU. Please enjoy.


Courtesy of Linwood Ferguson
Liam Jones: What was it like growing up near FGCU and now playing for them?

Nick Rivera: Growing up, you really didn’t hear much about them [FGCU] until recently because you had Florida, FSU, and Miami. I mean USF and all those types of schools, FGCU just exploded onto the scene. I think the first time I heard about them baseball wise was sophomore year of high school and to see how much they’ve grown in the past 3-4 years it is just crazy. The baseball team has always been successful. The softball team has always been successful and the basketball team had the awesome run in the NCAA tournament and its great to see how much it has grown the last couple years.

LJ: When you came in, what did you pride yourself on and what do you think the staff at FGCU could help you improve on?

NR: I could always hit, that was my biggest tool coming into FGCU but they helped me with fielding. I wasn’t very good defensively coming in but we’ve put a lot of work and they’ve helped me a lot.

LJ: What was it like on campus and in Fort Myers in general during March Madness?

NR: Wow, it was crazy, everywhere you’d go someone would mention something about Dunk City or FGCU Athletics. I was wearing an FGCU athletics shirt and people would come up to me and give me a high five. The basketball team was just doing great. It was just funny to see how many bandwagoners and all that stuff jumped on FGCU because of what they did. Its great to see, for our whole community, for every sport. I mean it will help with admissions, financial aid, and all that type of stuff.

LJ: Did you guys feed on the energy and school spirit that the basketball team brought for FGCU?

NR: Yea, most definitely, coming to our baseball games, we played Florida about a week ago and there were a ton of people there. I mean I don’t really think before Dunk City, maybe we don’t have as many fans as Florida did but our fan base is improving daily because of what they did and what we are continuing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By